AdSense

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What is this blog? Take 2...

Well, my first post of this, my second attempt at starting a blog, has gotten off to an inauspicious start. After spending a few hours on a carefully-worded introduction, Blogger.com abruptly deleted my draft before I finished. Ironically, this kind of thing is one of the topics I plan to address in my blog: user/customer experiences. In this case, a bad one. What makes it worse is that the help forum shows that this has been a problem for at least a year and hasn't been fixed. The amount of negative energy, lost ideas, and forgotten creative turns of phrase over that time must be huge. And for a person for whom it's taken a few years to get up the gumption to start a blog because it takes so much time and mind power, it makes me again question my decision to start one.

Anyway, I'm not really a negative person, so don't think this blog will be regular rant about what's wrong with everything. On the contrary, I plan to include observations, insights and ideas about cool, funny, sad and maybe even helpful things from different aspects of life: society, culture, business, politics.

This is a very broad list of topics, but there will probably be a few common threads and themes in all of my posts:

Ukraine and the US: I am American and live in Ukraine.

Telecom/Tech marketing: Pretty much my entire career has been in this area, so I tend to see things through this prism.

Customer/User experience: From a business improvement perspective but also my personal perspective as a customer and user.

In case you're wondering, my blog name comes from Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay, Self Reliance, which I first read in high school and which has stayed with me since then:

"A man should learn to detect and watch that gleam of light which flashes across his mind from within, more than the lustre of the firmament of bards and sages... Else, tomorrow a stranger will say with masterly good sense precisely what we have thought and felt all the time, and we shall be forced to take with shame our own opinion from another."

Some of the gleams you read here may be dim and small, but hopefully there will also be a few that are big and bright. In that spirit, I encourage you to leave your own gleams that may flash across your mind as you read this blog.